I find it really tricky to keep a packed lunch vaguely interesting without spending a fortune – so I’m always keen to find new, cheap and easy treats to accompany the obligatory bagel, carrot and dried fruit.
Then I discovered these flapjacks – and the kids love them (unfortunately so do I which isn’t helping the bikini diet…). They are sooooo easy to make and taste delish. It really is the simplest recipe ever!
250g porridge oats
75g Demerara sugar
3 generous tablespoons of golden syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Melt the butter, sugar and syrup together in a saucepan on a low heat.
3. When the mixture is completely melted and combined together, stir in the oats.
4. Put the mixture into a lined metal baking tray and press down with the back of a spoon.
5. Pop in the over for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
6. When you have removed it from the oven, cut into 12-16 pieces, then leave to cool in the tray.